Good Denture Hygiene is key to maintaining your oral health and long term satisfaction with your dentures.
Advice and tips on caring for your dentures
Dr. Pasch advises that, when cleaning your dentures, you first rinse away loose food particles thoroughly. Dentures do need to be cleaned every day. After a meal, you may simply rinse them.
- However, at least once a day they either need to be cleaned with a denture cleaning tablet in a cup such as with Efferdent or Polident or you may brush them.
- Dentures should be brushed inside and outside daily with a soft, large nylon denture tooth brush with round-ended bristles. Brush every surface, scrubbing gently to avoid damage.
- Use denture creams instead of toothpastes, which are too abrasive and will scratch your denture. Denture paste or cream is typically sold in the same aisle of the drug store or the supermarket as the denture adhesives.
- Furthermore, it is important to brush your gums, tongue, and palate every morning with a soft-bristled brush before inserting your dentures. This not only leads to a fresh clean feeling, but it’s important to stimulate your oral tissues, as well as remove plaque from all areas of your mouth.
- Rinse with cold water. Dentures warp if placed in hot water.
- Inspect your denture regularly for worn teeth.
- Worn and stained dentures can make you look older and cause your dentures to function poorly.
- Discuss all your current medications with your doctor and dental professional.
- Be sure to visit Dr. Pasch, Dr. Yam, Dr. Shirzadnia or Dr. Xu regularly for your oral exam and oral cancer screening and to check the condition and fit of your Full or partial dentures.
- Have loose dentures checked immediately as they can cause friction and pressure on the gum tissues and bones.
- When not in use, cover dentures with water or a denture-cleaning solution to prevent them from drying out.
- Most dental insurance policies provide coverage for new dentures every 5 years.
For more information about how to care for your dentures or to make an appointment with Drs. Pasch, Yam, Shirzadnia or Xu, call our New York office today at Herald Square Dental and The Denture Center Phone Number 212-689-0024.